Varsity Volleyball Coach
St. John's-Ravenscourt School is urgently searching for a head coach for our Varsity Girls volleyball team, beginning September, 2017. SJR has a strong development program, beginning with a club program in Grades 4 to 6. Teams in Grade 7 and 8 play in the Pembina Trails Athletic Association league, while our Junior Varsity and Varsity teams are a part of the South Central Athletic Conference.
Our Varsity Girls team practices twice each week and plays once or twice each week. Game times are 6:00 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. Try-outs will take place during the first week of school in September and practices begin shortly after. League games usually begin in the last week of September. Typically, the team plays in three or four tournaments throughout the season. One of those tournaments is the Western Canadian Independent School Volleyball Championship, held in October in different cities across the Western provinces. This coming season, SJR is hosting the event with seven to nine teams travelling to play in our gyms. The tournament will be held October 18-21, 2017. The team has already been registered for tournaments in St. Anne, MB on October 27-28, 2017 and Lorette, MB on November 3-4, 2017.
While preference would be to have a coach who is committed to stay on with the team/school for a number of years, we are willing to discuss the possibility of a one year commitment.
- Previous experience as a volleyball coach
- Knowledge of required skills and strategies at the High School Varsity level
- Complete online Sport Manitoba “Respect in Sport Coaching Program”
- Strong communication skills, able to effectively lead a group of teenage athletes
- Trained or certified as a Development Coach or Advanced Development Coach
- Knowledge of concussion protocol and first aid training
- Willing to continue to develop personal coaching skills
All SJR coaches are required to complete a Child Abuse Registry (CAR) check and a Criminal Record Check (CRC). This can be done through the School’s Human Resources office.
Volunteer coaches at SJR receive a monetary stipend at the end of the season.
Interested coaches should contact:
Mr. Dean Wright
Director of Athletics
400 South Drive
Phone: 204-477-2468 (before June 23) or 204-477-1433 (after June 23)